Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

28 Days Later

Four weeksThat's how long Corrie and I went without eating any meat.


I meant to blog more during that time, but with the semester getting started up last week, life got crazier by the day. But now we are on the other side of our Vegetarian Experiment, and I have some thoughts about these last four weeks.



The first 10 days were pretty hard. I caught myself several times beginning to fix myself a sandwich and realizing my choices were peanut butter or...peanut butter. I also craved chicken or burgers a lot during those first 10 days, especially when I could smell them.


Sometime around mid-month I found myself not craving anything anymore, and automatically looking at the vegetarian options in grocery stores and restaurants (which are often times very limited). My habits were changing, and with my tastes. Though I can't say that I tried a lot of new veggies in the last month, I can say that I am willing to order them and eat them a lot more than I was before.


And that is one of the primary reasons I did this: to change my habits. Habits are tricky things. They are a part of who we are, but they can also hold us back from being better than who we are. I am fortunate enough to have a metabolism that can handle grease, meat, and sugar pretty well, but just because I don't gain weight from fatty foods doesn't mean I should not eat healthy. What's really at stake is not so much my current health, but my long-term health. I would love to be as healthy at 40 as I am 30, but I won't be if I don't adjust some habits between now and then.


If you're wondering how we celebrated our four-week meat fast - we got take out from Five Guys Burger and Fries!



No comments: